Friday, September 4, 2009

The Brown Sack


The Brown Sack offers more than just superb sandwiches and shakes; it offers up a friendly, laid-back environment with good vibes and an air of humility. While I sat enjoying my meal and the mellow music, I think I heard Adam, one of the good-natured people running the joint, converse with just about every customer.


It's no wonder there are so many regulars (the picture aboveshows him taking an order from one of these return customers). After much deliberation of my own within my dome, I ordered the Cajun Poboy with a side of slaw and an Oreo milkshake.


The shake showed up first at my indoor picnic table and it was super thick, straw-clogging sweetness. It was oh-so amazing: made with three scoops of real ice cream and a generous serving of oreos. And because it wasn't overblended, there were glorious oreo chunks still intact that magically squeezed up the straw. I was in heaven.


The poboy showed up shortly after the revelatory milkshake and it too was exceptional. The well-seasoned, cajun-spiced turkey and ham, paired with the tangy slaw, tomato, melted provolone, and toasted, buttered sub roll was moist, savory goodness. I could've done without some of the especially chewy fat chunks in the meats, but hey, they were minor flaws when compared to all the other harmonious ingredients.

The coleslaw deserves mention as well, for I found it flavorful and refreshing. The tiny apple chunks lent it a perfect amount of lightness and it wasn't at all too heavy on mayo.

The shake, sandwich, slaw, and side deli pickle spear was a good amout of food. I say this because taking it down was no easy task and also because it's a lot of good stuff for only ~$10.

There are some subtle things about this neighborhood spot that further contribute to the inimitable experience. For one, the word "shack" stands out in red ink on the front window of the facade which really emphasizes the lack of pretension. Also, even though you order at the register, you don't pay until after the meal. When you finish, no one comes by and pressures you to pay by placing a check on your table - it's up to you to go to back to the front counter. That kind of customer trust is really endearing and not something that I've run into a lot in Chicago.

Back or Forth? I will be going back.

The Brown Sack - Logan Square - (773)661-0675 - 3706 W. Armitage Ave, Chicago, IL 60647 - Public transportation: bus 73.

Oreo milkshake - $3.50
Cajun Poboy - $6.25

1 comment:

Unknown said...

damn that looks good