Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Goddess and Grocer


The Goddess and Grocer illustrates the clean aesthetic with a personal touch. They've got a succinct selection of high-end goods in tidy displays (wines, artisanal cheeses, handmade sweets) and a nice deli counter that offers sandwiches, salads, sliced meats, and more.


To start, I made an accidentally annoying request: I asked for a sandwich that would "blow me away". The employee, justifiably, didn't have an answer ready for me. He tried to ascertain some of my preferences and only then did he make a few suggestions. I went with the California Dreaming (subliminal homesickness?) and asked for a cup of water which I never received.


The sad side pickle spear in the basket - one that was dry and flat - foreshadowed the unimpressive sandwich. It consisted of turkey, avocado, swiss, sprouts, lettuce, tomato, and lemon mayo on multigrain bread and its flavors never really popped; they blended into obscurity. The ingredients themselves weren't necessarily the problem though. To me, California Dreaming had too much swiss and too little avocado. The multigrain bread was excellent, but the lemon mayo oozed through its spongy surface and greased up my fingers. It just wasn't anything special or especially enjoyable...


For dessert, I ordered a beautiful salted caramel cupcake for $3.50. I loved how it came in a plastic container because I despise shedding crumbs and making a mess. Unfortunately though, the presentation was the best part, proving once again that looks can be deceiving.

The cupcake itself didn't do it for me. The "salted caramel" flavor was faint at best and the chocolate frosting burned my throat with its cheap sweetness. The middle bites, the ones that combined the frosting with the "salted caramel" filling, were cavity-inducing and unpleasant. Aside from the generous portion and the tasty/moist cake, I was not happy with my purchase. If I could go back in time and alter the cupcake, I would've used a caramel buttercream frosting or even a vanilla one to compliment the "salted caramel". The chocolate washed out the caramel entirely and if it's going to play such a significant role, then the cupcake should be renamed "chocolate caramel".

The Goddess and Grocer isn't a bad place to eat or shop by any means, but for me, Southport Grocery is a better option.

Back or Forth? I will be going forth.

The Goddess and Grocer - Bucktown - (773)342-3200 - 1646 N. Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60647 - Public transportation: Damen stop of the Blue Line or bus 50, 56, 72.

California Dreaming - $7.95
salted caramel cupcake - $3.50

No comments: