Thursday, November 12, 2009

Taqueria Iguala


Following the trend of my rainy taco exploration day in Pilsen, Taqueria Iguala was pretty empty when I entered. My expectations were low as were my spirits - I hadn't eaten anything mind-blowing and this place, with its tacky hanging Halloween decorations and hard fixed booths, didn't look promising.


And yet, Taqueria Iguala delivered the best taco al pastor I've had in Chicago. For $1.80, I tasted amazingly tasty, moist pork with finely chopped cilantro and onions on a good pair of soft corn tortillas. The juicy lemon wedge on the side proved to be a vast improvement over the dry limes I had gotten at the other two Pilsen joints. Come to think of it, why don't all the taquerias give lemons instead of limes? For me, the lemon works much better as a compliment than the usual lime...


The taco's pork was fattier than Los Comales's, but it made sense in that it provided more flavor and didn't throw off the texture in an offputting way. The taco as a whole needed no additional flavoring (aside from the juice of the lemon wedge) but it is worth noting that their green tomatillo was the first sauce of the day that wasn't tasteless...

Back or Forth? I will be going back. The third and final taco stop of my Pilsen adventure wowed me with a nicely seasoned, perfectly balanced taco al pastor that came out fresh and hot. I guess I unintentionally saved the best for last.

Taqueria Iguala - Pilsen - (312)226-0566 - 1131 W. 18th St, Chicago, IL 60608 - Public transportation: bus X9/9, 18 or the 18th stop of the Pink Line.

taco al pastor - $1.80

No comments: