Monday, October 5, 2009

Artemio's Bakery

I think I can write this review in less than 200 words. So, start counting NOW. Artemio's Bakery provided a strong contrast to the establishment I had just visited (Lucia) with an unfriendly atmosphere and an employee-less counter. I waited a bit for someone to appear, asked a question (my favorite pastime) about a pastry I had on my tray, got a curt response, returned that pastry to its behind-the-glass shelf space, chose another pastry, paid the even buck for it, and left. I wanted to ask another question, but based on the way in which my other question was received, I didn't.


Honestly, 'twas not a tasty pastry. I'm not really even sure what it was. If I had to guess, I'd say it was some kind of pan dulce with a gross cheese filling. The texture was a bit off, but at least it wasn't stale. The dried white sugar frosting on top and the walnuts attracted me to it initially, but I regret my decision. I couldn't even finish it. I mean, mouthfuls of bitter cheese filling and walnuts and frosting and a vague cinnamon flavor? What the farquad.


Giant selection, but poor quality and poor service. If bang for your buck is all you care about, then go here instead.

Back or Forth? I will be going forth.

Lucia's Deli - Wicker Park - (773)342-0757 - 1443 N. Milwaukee, Chicago, IL 60622 - Public transportation: Damen stop of the Blue Line or bus 56.

Pastry - $1

No comments: